Friday, December 09, 2005

The Passion of Great Aunt Rae

♥On the occasion of your 90th birthday, November 2, 2005
(read to you on November 12, 2005) ♥

Your life’s passion becomes clear to anyone who spends more than five minutes in your home: it is children. The dolls you have collected over the years represent the deep love and care you have gifted three generations with over your 90 years. ♥ While I enjoyed playing with the dolls as a little girl, they are not the reason I know this about you. Rather, I experienced your passion firsthand because I was one of the objects of your passion throughout my childhood.
You nurtured passion in me. ♥ I learned how to enjoy every day life. I have wonderful memories of cooking lessons with my Easy-Bake Oven, dressing up and play-acting, your lovingly rubbing Vick’s VapoRub on my chest when I was sick, tickling my back while l fell asleep and introducing me to the wonders of The Lawrence Welk Show. ♥ You fed my passion for reading. At night you always read in bed and encouraged me to bring a book to bed, too. It is from your library that I found and read my favorite book in the world, Hurray for Me. I re-read at least once a year. Your library was diverse and it opened new worlds to me. Your Reader’s Digest collection taught me about Joe’s brain and Jane’s thyroid! ♥ You expanded my passion for people by teaching me to graciously greet guests (especially during your Edgewood years). I especially am grateful that you encouraged me to spend time with the older women who lived at Edgewood. I learned to be at ease with senior citizens and have formed many precious friendships with people whose wisdom and life experience has made my life richer.
I could go on and on, but I will close by naming the most important passion you nurtured in me: my love for God. ♥ Besides being one of my first Sunday School teachers, as my aunt you modeled other Christ-like qualities to me: your genuine love for and belief in me; your respect for me as a person; your constancy in my life . . . ♥ all that you invested in me, through God’s grace, helped provide the framework for my spiritual formation.
In other words . . .
"This service that you perform is not only
supplying the needs of God's people
but is also overflowing in many expressions
of thanks to God." (2 Cor. 9.12)

♥Today and always I thank God for your life & passion♥

With much love, Kïrsten Marie♥

No comments: